Tahir Academy was born in 2014 as a result of a Majlis-e-Shura proposal of Ahmadiyya Muslim Community USA. The objective of this initiative was to provide the human, organizational and financial resources that our Atfal and Nasirat needed. This is the text of the 2014 Majlis-e-Shura’s recommendations which were subsequently approved by Hazrat Khalifatul Masih (may Allah be his helper)
2014 USA Jama’at Majlis-e-Shura Recommendations
The Tarbiyat sub-committee deliberated on 4/11/14, from 8:30 PM to 11:00 PM. The meeting began with Tilawat by Imam Hammad Ahmad sahib and Du`a led by Naib Ameer Dr. Mirza Maghfoor Ahmad Sahib.
The meeting concluded with Du`a led by Imam Mohammad Zafrullah Hanjra Sahib.
Approximately 4,000 Ahmadi Muslim children under the age of 15 (boys and girls) live in the United States. Special emphasis for the Tarbiyat of these children is needed. In the light of Huzoor’s (aba) recent Friday sermons on the importance of self-reformation, National Majlis-e-Amila recommends that Jama`at USA develop and implement a comprehensive Tarbiyat plan for all children under the age of 15.
Five Jamaats are currently conducting comprehensive children classes in a “Sunday School” like fashion under the banner of “Tahir Academy.” The subcommittee expressed a strongly favorable opinion of Tahir Academies and recommended that the National Tarbiyat department should establish Tahir Academies in at least 25 different Jamaats during the 2014-15 year.
Salient features of Tahir Academy are:
- The operations, coordination and funding of Tahir Academy should be under the local Jamaat structure, supervised by the National Tarbiyat department.
- Classes should be taken by missionaries (where available and continuity can be assured), auxiliary representatives, and other teachers as needed.
- Though blending all the different syllabi (Atfal, Nasirat, etc) into a single syllabus is the ultimate goal, it should not be a requirement at this stage.
- Tahir Academy should run for three terms per year, with each term holding at least 10 weekly sessions. Students should get a break during summer vacations and Ramadhan.
- Tahir Academy should be for boys and girls between the ages 5-15 years. However, classes for students over the age of 10 years should be held separately for each gender.
- Local policy decisions should be made by an advisory board, constituting the local Tarbiyat secretary, Missionary, Qaid Khuddam-ul-Ahmadiyya, Sadr Lajna Imaillah, Zaim Ansarullah, Secretary Waqf-e-Nau and Murrabi Atfal. Jamaat President will serve as the board chairman. The Board will nominate a Principal and administrative staff to run the Academy’s operations.
- Since Tahir Academy will operate under the Jamaat umbrella, it is vital that other Jamaat or auxiliary programs should not compete with the predetermined schedule of Tahir Academy.
- Tarbiyat department should be responsible for providing detailed materials such as handbook of policies and procedure, best practices etc.
Dr. Mirza Maghfoor Ahmad – Chairman
Dr. Faheem Younus Qureshi – Secretary